Please read this before posting: Very popular questions

Frequently asked questions

Please read this before posting: Very popular questions

Postby speedypainter » 04/06/2014, 8:48

Frequently asked questions

1. Whenever I try to execute SpeedyPainter it just crashes on startup and displays a message about OpenGL. What does this mean?

This is a very common question. Unfortunately SpeedyPainter runs only with graphics cards that support OpenGL 3.0 specifications.
    At the moment those kind of graphics card should be very common, since those specifications are more than 3-4 years old. Unfortunately, it looks like that a lot of integrated graphics cards do not fully support those specifications. I am currently trying to extend the program compatibility also on that hardware.

2. How can I know whether my graphics card supports OpenGL 3.0 or not?

An useful tool can help you in this task: GPU Caps Viewer.

3. Ok, I am sure that my graphics card supports OpenGL 3.0. Why does the program still refuse to start and keeps telling me that I have a lower OpenGL version?

In this case it is very likely that your graphics drivers are not up to date. This also happened to me when I first installed Windows 8 on my PC.
    In this case you just have to download and install the latest video driver specific for your graphics card. Depending on your hardware, you will find them on the NVIDIA site, AMD site, Intel Download Center or maybe on your notebook/tablet PC support page.
    If your drivers are up-to date, then a possible problem could be that your pc has multiple graphics adapters and it automatically switches to use the integrated one, which has usually poor performance. In this case you should look in the driver options and specify to always use the GPU instead of the integrated card.
    If your system doesn't have a dedicated video hardware (like an NVIDIA or an AMD video card), but you have an Intel graphics adapter like the ones integrated with latest Intel CPUs (e.g. an Intel HD 4000 integrated with i5 processors), then again you can fix the problem installing the most up-to date drivers from the Intel Download Center, selecting "Graphics" from "Select a product family", and selecting the other options according to your hardware type (desktop/laptop).

4. On my laptop I have both integrated and dedicated GPUs, why do I still have problems at startup?

If your hardware allows you to switch between integrated graphics and dedicated GPU, like with nVidia Optimus technology, then you should manually switch to use dedicated GPU, like NVIDIA or AMD ones. On future releases of the software, I am planning to make this switch automatic, if this is possible someway.

5. I have a Wacom tablet, but SpeedyPainter does not detect the pressure of my pen, how can i fix this?

It seems that, on some particular configurations, the pen pressure functionality does not work when the Windows service called “Tablet PC Input Service” is enabled. On Windows 7 you can work around this issue by manually stopping and disabling that service from the Windows Services list (press WIN+r -> type "services.msc" -> enter -> find "Tablet PC Input Service" in the list -> stop the service).
speedypainter
Amministratore

Return to FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions